Wednesday, April 23, 2014

(Almost) WORDLESS WEDNESDAY - Two James TERWILLIGERS

My 2nd great-grandfather, & his son, my great-grandfather, two James TERWILLIGERS; through my maternal lines.
I particularly appreciate the visible differences in clothing and hair styles of these two men, with photos taken about 30 years apart.  Both photos found in the younger son's TERWILLIGER SOUVENIR ALBUM.


Taken in approximately 1860-1865, the photo to the right is of James M. TERWILLIGER, likely as a formal photo for the Senate.  James would be in his 40s here.  I would love to know what on earth his middle name is, as I have yet to see any document with his full name.
Born on 30 January 1825, New Scotland, Albany, New York; and died 18 October 1909, Roselle, Union, New Jersey, at the home of his elder son, below.


This is James Grover "Grove" TERWILLIGER, the eldest son of James M. TERWILLIGER, above;  the photo taken approximately 1885-1890.
Born 27 May 1856, Syracuse, Onondaga, New York; and died 17 March 1929, Syracuse, Onondaga, New York.




4 comments:

SallySearches said...

Great photos!

Celia Lewis said...

Aren't they! And I love to be able to see that both men seem to have pale eyes, in these photos. We often have minimal details about the physical descriptions of our great-greats! Thanks for commenting.

Julie Kirby said...

My Great Great Grandfather was a James Terwilliger too ... His middle name was Alexander, but on his headstone it says James M A ... Would love to know what that M stands for too ...! Great pictures ...

Celia Lewis said...

Thanks for stopping by, Julie. I've looked in so many places but still can't find out what the M stood for. Mysteries - they keep us searching, eh? And since all Terwilligers are related from those original ancestors in New Amsterdam in 1663, we're cousins of some sort or another! Cheers.

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis