Tuesday, July 29, 2014

52 ANCESTORS in 52 WEEKS, #31: Mary FERNALD, Kittery.

Following the challenge of writing 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, issued by Amy Johnson Crow , here is my 31st installment, Mary FERNALD, continuing my research on early settlers, particularly the women - and finding so much still to do!  Mary is my 5th great-grandmother in my mother's lines.

Mary was one of 8 children of James FERNALD and Mary HINCKS, b. 14 May 1712. The FERNALD families were early Kittery ME settlers. James' father was the original immigrant, arriving about 1632.  I have no information at present about Mary HINCKS' family, other than her birthplace as New Castle NH in abt 1680.

On 15 Oct 1734, in Kittery, Mary FERNALD married John ADAMS, b. 29 Aug 1706 in Kittery. The couple appear to have stayed in Kittery, and had 7 children that we know of to date, all born in Kittery:
   1.  Mark, b. 4 Oct 1735
   2.  John Jr, b. 4 Feb 1735/7; on 22 Oct 1761, m. Mary Hill
   3.  Eleanor [ancestor], b. 4 Oct 1739;  m. Thomas PETTYGROVE 31 Aug 
           1764; d.1796, Calais ME; 5 children
   4.  Thomas, b. 24 Dec 1742
   5.  Joseph, b. 4 Jul 1744
   6.  Benjamin, b. 2 Feb 1745/6
   7.  Mary, b. 17 May 1752

As there is a 6 year gap from 1746-1752, one might suspect John was away on various skirmishes, or they had one or more infants who died young.  Both John Jr, and younger brother Joseph, were commissioned officers in the navy, fighting against the British in the Revolutionary War.  

Unfortunately, as happened much more often than now, Mary died soon after Mary Adams, her 7th child, was born in 1752.  I have not found records of a gravestone/cemetery, which means I need to do more research. Her husband, John, died about 1787 in Kittery, so I ought to be able to find his grave, but so far, I haven't been able to do so. John Adams is rather a common name and after wading through hundreds of names, I still haven't seen 'my' man. 

So once more, we have a 1700s ancestor, a woman who is known only by her parents, her marriage, her children, her untimely death - recorded, but no stone.

If you have further information about Mary or the Fernald/Adams families, I would be very pleased to hear from you via calewis at telus dot net, or in the Comments section below. Ditto if you have corrections to my information.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis