Thursday, November 12, 2015

52 ANCESTORS, 52 THEMES, No.44: Edmund TAPP, 1590-1653

This year's challenge by Amy Crow is another weekly blog based on Themes. The previous week's theme was "Oops" - which I did not follow - I wrote about an original immigrant who arrived in 1630 to Massachusetts.  I'm late this week - and the theme fits as I try to catch up! This week, the theme is "Frightening!"  Hmm, frightening. Every very early settler who sailed over the Atlantic Ocean, taking from 45 to 70 days to travel to the New England shores - they all had FRIGHTENING trips. And yet, here we are. I decided to write about one of those early ancestors, Edmund TAPP and wife, Anne HIRTS, my 8th great-grandparents.

Edmund TAPP is estimated to have been born about 1580 -1590, possibly near Felmersham, Bedfordshire, England. He married Anne HIRTS in approximately 1614 in Bedfordshire, and appears to have settled in Benington, Hertfordshire by approximately 1623/24.  The first few children may have been born in Great Haddam and Ware in Bedfordshire.  The later children would have been born in Benington, Hertfordshire. These small towns are not far north of London.  Photo at right attributed to "St Peter, Benington, Herts - geograph.org.uk - 355401" by John Salmon. 

The family emigrated with a group of other Hertfordshire families in 1637, arriving in Massachusetts Bay Colony, and within a year or so, moving to Connecticut. The TAPP family settled in Milford, CT before 1639.  Edmund is known to have been given Home Lot #35 - 7 acres 2 rods, on 12 Feb 1638/39, about a year after they moved to Connecticut. This lot is apparently located at the present corner of Governors Avenue and North Street in Milford.  See #35 lot near the top right in this map.

Children of Edmund and Anne, are the following, and note only one son, 5 daughters:
  1. Elizabeth, b. est 1616, d. 1 May 1676 New Haven CT; m. Major John Nash [who d. 3 Jul 1687]
  2. Anna, b. abt 1620, d. 1701, CT; m. William Gibbard [who d. bef 1665]
  3. Mary, b. abt 1622; m. abt 1645 to William Fowler [son of Wm Fowler Sr., immigrant]
  4. Sarah, b. abt 1624/25
  5. Edmund jr., bap 20 Jul 1626, Benington
  6. Jane [ancestor], bap 14 Feb 1626/27 Benington, d. 8 Apr 1703 Milford CT; m. 25 Dec 1646 to [Gov.] Robert TREAT; 8 children
Note that I have seen several articles stating Jane was born in Connecticut. However the family did not emigrate until 1637, when Jane would already be approximately 8-10 years of age.  I also need to do more research on all her siblings and their families. I have no information on Edmund Jr., nor Sarah, the 4th child. 

Edmund TAPP was admitted to Church Membership at Milford, CT, on the date of its founding, 22 Aug 1639. He was considered "one of the seven pillars" of the Milford Church, with 6 other gentlemen.  His wife, Anne, was admitted to Church Membership June 25, 1642, and there is no explanations as to why it took 3 years for her to be admitted. This is a puzzle to me.  I would appreciate any explanation anyone has about this gap.

After arriving in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, several families left for New Haven; others, including Edward TAPP and his family, left for the Milford area as indicated above.  Edmund TAPP was appointed one of the Judges for Civil Affairs in Milford, Connecticut (a church body).  He was one of the founders of Milford, CT,  which was founded 20 Nov 1639.  He also was Assistant to the Governor of Connecticut. His youngest daughter, Jane married Robert TREAT, who was active politically in Connecticut, as Assistant Governor and Governor. Note that Edmund TAPP had the prefix "Mr." attached to his name, which at that time meant a great deal, and showed he was considered an important man in the community.

We know his will was proven 1 April 1653, but do not have his exact death date; likely about a month or so before that date.  We do know his wife was living at the time of his death.  Edmund's actual will has unfortunately been lost, with only a few guesses as to names of married daughters and grandchildren only possible from other documents.   The inventory is known, however, and was taken on 26 Apr 1643, showing a total value of £713 1s. 4d.

He is buried in the Milford Cemetery, which was opened in 1642, as an expansion of the Rev. Peter Prudden's garden, and the blackened lettered stone may be seen on FindAGrave. Note that most of the TAPP families shown on FindAGrave are Memorial stones detailed for an anniversary celebration of Milford, long after the time,  and may well contain errors of various sorts.

* * * * * * * 
If you know anything about the immigrant Edmund TAPP and his family, I would be so pleased for more details. Contact me at my address at the bottom of the page, or in the Comments section. Our line goes through Jane TAPP, several generations of TREAT, GRAVES, TERWILLIGER, and KUHN.

Sometimes my Blogger account seems not to allow me to "reply" to your comments. Do know that I value your comments immensely. You make my day! Thanks for stopping by to read my weekly post.

3 comments:

Sherry Treat said...

Thank you for the article.I am descended from Robert and Jane Treat. My name is Treat.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the information in your article. It's always fun to read information about my ancestors.

I too am descended from Robert and Jane Treat (my 8th gg'parents), making Edmond and Ann (Hirts) Tapp my 9th gg'parents.

I've seen information that Edmund, Jr died young - but beyond that no idea of date of death or any other information...and who knows how accurate that is!

Mary Ellis

Celia Lewis said...

Thanks for your comment, Mary. I think there are a lot of descendants of the Tapp family from Connecticut. As for Edmund & Anne's families, I keep digging in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire for more details, but I'm likely as far back as I can get. There is a probate record/inventory for Edmund Tapp 1635 which could be for Edmund's father [?] but I haven't sent away for it to see if it is any relation of our particular Edmund Tapp! There were a number of Tapp men living in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire in the late 1500s and early 1600s.

Welcome!

Family, friends, and others - I hope you enjoy these pages about our ancestors and their lives. Genealogy has become somewhat of an obsession, more than a hobby, and definitely a wonderful mystery to dig into and discover. Enjoy my writing, and contact me at celia.winky at gmail dot com if you have anything to add to the stories. ... Celia Lewis